Dreams: Prayers


Dreams

Dreams are answers
       to questions
       we haven't yet
       figured out
       how to ask.
       ~X-Files

Prayers

In my prayers, I often ask God for ... nothing. I believe that God knows everything and will grant me without my asking for it, when and what is right for me. However, in a book that I am reading, the author brings in a very interesting perspective about the specificity and deliberation of prayers. To make her point, she shares this lore.

A poor man goes to Church every day and prays before the statue of a great saint, begging, "Dear Saint - please, please, please ... give me the grace to win the lottery. " This lament goes on for months. Finally the exasperated statue comes to life, looks down at the begging man and says in weary disgust, "My son - please, please, please ... buy a ticket."

Now, if You were to let me win the lottery, God, will you also not create circumstances that will make me buy the tickets as well? I trust you - completely, blindly!

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

9:20 PM

Hmm.. You ask God for nothing? Well- then I truly must say you are a Saint! :)

On a serious note- I do agree that God knows everything and will grant me what I deserve. But I also believe that God wants me to know what I want- and for me- the way to know is to decide whether I want something so much that I would pray to God for it.. A prayer to God is also a way for me to find out what it is that I truly desire. So whenever there is something which finds a mention in my prayer to God, then I know that God wants to me want it :)

The example from the book about the man praying to God for winning a lottery is hilarious! I most certainly believe that once we truly know what we want, God always has all the right opportunities ready for us. What we call miracles or prayers answered are times when we recognize those opportunities at the right moment. And prayers can, at the max, help us get some bonus opportunities from God- God can't seize them for us :)

That makes me remember that age-old saying which used to be put up on the walls of our schools and classrooms- "God helps those who help themselves".. Amen! :)

Cheers!
Priyanka.    



» Post a Comment